Thursday, October 16, 2008

Cheat

Spotted. Freshmen year on a math test, I was stuck on a “multiple choice question”. There were only two choices – cheat on the test or not. I forgot a really important formula. The formula was in my book and my book, with its graceful glow, was lying there on the ground right beside me. “I need to get that formula right,” I told myself.

I looked around: the teacher was all the way in the frond reading his beloved comic; no one was wondering around, the students were all doing their work; and my book was whispering, “come to me, come to me…” This is a really good situation to cheat - I made this conclusion. My hand started to move toward the book… “Stop it!” I heard a voice in my mind, “cheat on a test is not the right thing to do.” The little angel on my left shoulder warned me. My hand was back on the desk. “Do it Lu, do it!” that voice came from my right shoulder this time, “no one would find out. Think about getting all the answers right.” Should I do it or not? This ambivalent feeling loomed up in my mind.

I stared at the book. It seemed like there was a wisp of fragrant coming from the book – the aroma of right answer.

With the cheat-or-die spirit, I reached out my hand again. I opened the book carefully and started looking for the formula. Here it is! The formula is… All of a sudden, I felt a cold hand was on my shoulder. I turned around and looked up: my teacher’s glasses were sparkling. I felt there was a real nip in the air. I looked down and saw he was holding the comic he was reading. On the cover, there was a cartoon figure laughing heartlessly … at me.

0 comments: