Tuesday, November 18, 2008

The Crucible Homework P98-113

I. Quotations
1. "I have signed seventy-two death warrants; I am a minister of the Lord, and I dare not take a life without there be a proof so immaculate no slightest qualm of conscience may doubt it." - John Hale (page 94)
  • This is a turning point of Hale's position toward Salem's witch trail. His consciousness and righteousness led him out of the ridiculous and vicious cycle of the witch hunt. As an outsider, he came to Salem without the awareness of the relationships and true faces of the townpeolpe. He naively thought that Salem is a peaceful little town with virtuous Christian living in it. However, as he found out later on, in front of the curse of revenge and conflicts of interest, people are evil. It's so pathetic that honesty and morality are so brittle when the lust of power and revenge is at the helm. But thank God that Hale recognized it and withdraw from the fatuous court (later on by the end of Act Three).
2. "I have been hurt, Mr. Danforth; I have seen my blood running out! I have been near to murdered every day because I done my duty pointing out the Devil's people - and this is my reward? To be mistrusted, denied, questioned like a -" - Abigail Williams (page 108)
  • In Proctor's word, "It is a whore!" (page 110 & more; and pay attention to the word choice: 'It is', not 'she is'). I was surprised by Abigail's talent of using psychological tactics. By stating out the "fact" that she sacrificed herself to the court, to the town, and even to God, Abigail made herself not only a naive and powerless teenage girl but also a valiant warrior of righteousness and justice. I have to say that Abigail is a wicked smart girl. Unfortunately, she used her intelligence in the wrong place. We cannot blame for what she is because she, from some perspectives, is a victim of lust and revenge.

II. Discussing Questions
1. What will happen to Elizabeth and Proctor? Will Danforth free them although their testimonies didn't matched up well?

2. What will Marry Warren do under the peer pressure of Abigail and the other girls in the group?

0 comments: