Sunday, March 29, 2009

Pride & Prejudice 6: Chapter 6-10 [#7]

I. Quotation
1. "My fingers do not move over this instrument in the masterly manner which I see so many women's do [...] But then I have always supposed it to be my own fault - because I would not take the trouble of practicing. It is not that I do not believe my fingers as capable as any other woman's of superior execution."(page 174)
  • Darcy humbled himself in front of love and opened his long-closed heart to Elizabeth: "I certainly have not the talent which some people possess," said Darcy, "of conversing easily with those I have never seen before. I cannot catch their tone of conversation, or appear interested in their concerns, as I often see done" (174). Darcy finally put down his pride partially by admitting his lack of sociability. However, the sensible Elizabeth found the lack of willingness to change in Darcy's tone. Refusing to change is one of the outlets of pride because proud people are totally satisfied with their personalities, which they considered as perfect in some ways. In order to jeer Darcy's unconscious showing of pride, Elizabeth told Darcy that she blamed her unskillful fingering on her lack of practice, but not her fingers capability of instrumental performance - a contrast of Darcy's self-denial. Although Elizabeth intended to mock Darcy, she was actually helping him to realize the deep-rooted pride in his heart.
II. Multiple Choice Question
1. How can you describe Lady Catherine with the following words, except?

A. egoistic
B.
lavish
C. supercilious
D. haughty
E. malicious

0 comments: