Monday, March 2, 2009

Huckleberry Finn 3: P47-465

I. Quotations
1. "Yes -en I's rich now, come to look at it. I owns myself, en I's wuth eight hund'd dollars. I wisht I had de money, I wouldn't want no mo'." (page 57)
  • When men are separated into different social levels, or even sold in different price, there is no humanity and justice left in the world. Growing up under this racist influence, Jim thinks he worth eight hundred dollars. However, he does not know that everyone is priceless. There is nothing to lose but ourselves. Ourselves are the greatest fortunes we have. Thus, freedom, the power to determine action without restrain, is the most valuable thing for a man. The slaves are poor because they have no freedom. Fortunately, Jim got his freedom by running away from Miss Watson. Therefore, he can now master his own body and mind. Freedom worth much more than just eight hundred dollars - freedom is, indeed, priceless.
2. "He's been shot in de back. I reck'n he's been dead two er three days. Come in, Huck, but doan' look at his face - it's too gashly." (page 60)
  • The washed-out house Huck and Jim found was in a mess: "There was heaps of old greasy cards scattered around over the floor, and old whiskey bottles, and a couple of masks made out of black cloth" (60). The phrase "old whiskey bottles" stands out from the rest because it reminds me Huck's father, who is addicted to alcohol. So, does it mean that this dead man is Huck's pap? At least, we can view this as a symbolic hint of Pap's downfall - death.
  • From here we can see that Jim is a caring and clever young man. Jim not only teaches Huck the skills to live in the woods, but also provides protection for him. Jim is more than just a fellow - he is a figurative father to Huck. The place they live in the woods is no longer a camp for them, but a home. This is why when they got back from a full-day adventure, Huck said, "we got home all safe" (61). Jim and Huck's companionship gradually changed into a family relationship.
II. Vocabulary
1. brash - [adj.]
1> impertinent; impudent; tactless
2> hasty; rash; impetuous
3> energetic or highly spirited, esp. in an irreverent way; zesty
4> (use esp. of wood) brittle
Ex. "When I got to camp I warn't feeling very brash, there warn't much sand in my craw; but I says, this ain't no time to be fooling around." (50)

2.
gash - [n.]
1> a long, deep wound or cut; slash
2> slang: vulgar

Ex. "Come in, Huck, but doan't look at his face - it's too gashly." (21)

0 comments: